Wednesday, February 28, 2018

Book Reviews: Read the Rainbow (Orange)

This year, I decided to link up with Mia to Read the Rainbow. I did a little better with orange than red. I really enjoyed all four books I read for the challenge this month.


I had read this book years ago, but was happy to pick it back up again. The story always speaks to me. Life seems like such a search and find mission sometimes, but if we look close enough we can usually find everything we are looking for right under our noses. Definitely recommend this fairly quick read if you haven't ever given it a shot.


This book spans several years beginning with Sarah and Handful being pre-teens and ending with them in their 30's. I enjoyed how the story jumped back and forth between the point of view of each person. In the early parts, it was interesting to hear the two different takes on a similar experience. Toward the end, it was fascinating to compare the decisions and lifestyles. I'm glad I took the time to read this one, but there were a few points throughout where it felt really bogged down in the details. Overall, I enjoyed it though.


I loved hearing the story of the Fugees soccer team. What an incredible servant of a coach - wow! I loved how the book reflected on how members came to find the team as well as the struggles that existed in scheduling and resources (goals, transportation) for the team as a whole. The entire book is really well put together. I would highly recommend reading this one if you have interest in exploring the injustices that still exist for refugees and those of color in our diverse America.


I wish I had read this one before Outcasts United because it is the story of one of the lost boys from initial attack on his village to his life as a refugee that eventually returns to South Sudan. This is a pretty quick read. I would recommend it for anyone that thinks seeking refuge in the US is an easy process or quick decision. I can't even fathom the scenes described in this true story. This one is worth reading for sure.

Have you read any good books this month?

Andrea :)

No comments:

Post a Comment