Wednesday, November 30, 2016

ABC Reads: November Review


Today is the day to link up your ABC Reads!!   

Here's a refresher on the terms of the challenge in case you missed it previously:

What does the challenge entail?  Well, I'm glad you asked.  There are 26 letters of the alphabet and Mia and I challenge you, during the course of 2016, to read a book that starts with each letter.  For example, Atonement (A), The Bell Jar (B), Catching Fire (C), and so on.  Makes sense, right? You don't need to go in order - if you want to start with S, go for it.  On the last day of each month, we'll host a link-up for you to share your ABC Reads.  We will award one point for each letter you review AND a bonus point for linking up with us!  At the end of the year (or when the first participant reviews a book beginning with each of the 26 letters), the winner will be awarded a $30 Amazon gift card. Congrats to challenge winner, Jessica from Frikken Duckie!

My goal was to finish two of the four letters I have remaining for the challenge. With the holiday season upon us, time seems to be speeding up exponentially. I barely made it, but I'm happy to report I finished both of them. At this point, I am confident I will finish the challenge. I'll certainly have to push myself with all the holiday distractions though! This month, I completed the following letters: T and C.  Here are my thoughts...


13 Little Blue Envelopes by Maureen Johnson

This one took me on a whirlwind adventure all over Europe as Ginny followed instructions and completed tasks Aunt Peg assigned via letters in 13 little blue envelopes. I really liked the premise of the story, but the main character needed to be a bit older. Parts of the story were simply unrealistic for a high school kid who had never been anywhere or done anything in her life - especially with SO many sketchy male characters along for the ride. That criticism aside, I love the concept of growth through travel and the mysteriousness surrounding her aunt's instructions. I enjoyed the writing style and short chapters. I definitely plan to read the sequel, but I'm pretty sure whatever the second novel holds could have easily been wrapped up in an epilogue. I'll keep you posted...

Call the Midwife: A Memoir of Birth, Joy, and Hard Times by Jennifer Worth

My parents love this PBS series, but I've only seen an episode here or there with them. After reading this memoir, I plan to start the series from the beginning. I absolutely loved the stories in this book! Toward the end of the book, I was pleasantly surprised to find out Jennifer Worth actually created this as a trilogy. The next two books are already being requested from the library! This particular book focused on a number of unique birth stories, but also provided great insight and detail into the hard times of the people in those days. I found it truly fascinating. I am hopeful the PBS series depicts these stories exactly as described because I was completely engrossed in the lives of not only those in the community, but also the nuns serving as midwives.

What have you been reading this month?


Andrea :)

No comments:

Post a Comment