Thursday, April 6, 2017

Improv at Magnet Theater - Level One

When we decided to move away from New York City, there was one major item on my list of things I could not leave the city without trying. In fact, I had been planning to try improv classes since the very first year I moved to NYC, but my schedule never seemed to line up with the class openings. And it costed a pretty penny.


Much as I did my first Christmas in New York, I requested taking classes as a gift. I signed up for Level One to begin in January. I was able to delay my start until mid-February when everything happened with Dad, but I was really excited to get started when the day arrived.


I decided to start classes with Magnet Theater in NYC. They offered eight week sessions with a class show at the end. They also provide a free intro class that I had taken in the fall. I really enjoyed it so I signed up for the session with that same instructor - Rick Andrews.


I am glad I took my first class over a series of weeks because there were a lot of new things to learn and absorb from week to week. I loved every minute of my first class. The group of people in my class proved to be a wonderful mix. I looked forward to class so much each week.


We focused on the basics and played a lot of group and team games. It was fun to play with different people each week and really hone that "yes, and" skill. Our show was in early April and I was fortunate enough to have a big crew of folks show up to support me. I was nervous, but I had fun performing that night. The best part about improv is you never know in advance how a scene will go or where an idea will end up leading. So fun and so scary all at the same time - I highly recommend it!!

Andrea :)

No comments:

Post a Comment