Thursday, January 29, 2015

Best Picture Review: Birdman


Summary via Fandango:

A fading actor (Michael Keaton) best known for his portrayal of a popular superhero attempts to mount a comeback by appearing in a Broadway play. As opening night approaches, his attempts to become more altruistic, rebuild his career, and reconnect with friends and family prove more difficult than expected. Lindsay Duncan, Zach Galifianakis, and Edward Norton co-star in this black comedy from director Alejandro Iñárritu.

My Thoughts:

This was an abstract movie at its finest.  Super weird.  It was kind of all over the place really.  Very jumbled.  And it jumped around a lot.  I'm not even certain if there was really a point to it all, but I did love how it was filmed.  I can certainly see why it was nominated in cinematography.  There was a very unique feel to the way the camera angled on people's faces and followed people around.  I thought the editing and directing proved fantastic, but the story just wasn't my cup of tea.  I did wish that I had been able to see more of the Broadway show they were acting out in the movie.  It looked like a winner from the few scenes I kept seeing over and over again.  Michael Keaton and Edward Norton both performed well in the movie...particularly Keaton.  I didn't really think Emma Stone was so great though.  I'm not sure I would recommend this one unless you are more into the way it was filmed rather than the actual film itself.

Other Nominations:

Actor (Michael Keaton)
Supporting Actor (Edward Norton)
Supporting Actress (Emma Stone)
Cinematography
Directing (Alejandro G. Inarritu)
Sound Editing
Sound Mixing
Writing (Original Screenplay) 

Did you see Birdman?  What did it mean to you?  Or were you just confused the whole time like me?

Andrea :)

1 comment:

  1. I haven't seen Birdman, but the previews were a little odd, haha. But I really love Michael Keaton, so I might have to check it out. :) Great review, friend! xo

    ReplyDelete