Thursday, January 15, 2015

The Elephant Man

I wanted to see this show for one reason.  Bradley Cooper was starring as the Elephant Man.


Yep.  The one and only Bradley Cooper.  I had the highest of expectations.  THE highest.  Maybe that was my problem.  I'm not sure exactly, but I didn't like it.  I mean, I knew the story.  I was familiar with the idea that Bradley Cooper wouldn't be in the same type of role that he commonly plays, but something was just off for me.


First of all, I was expecting some make-up and indication of deformity as the Elephant Man.  There was none.  Just regular ole Bradley Cooper...tight abs and flowing locks as usual.  This made it very difficult for me to imagine that he was a repulsive, smelly blob of a half human.  I needed more.


Don't get me wrong, Cooper was phenomenal in his acting.  How he managed to keep his mouth curled and twisted while talking is beyond me.  Not to mention how he walked and kept his arm and hand in character flawlessly throughout the nearly two hour performance.  Amazing.  No doubt there.


It's just that it wasn't believable for me.  Maybe my imagination was shot that day.  Or perhaps, I wasn't anticipating having to use it quite as much.  Either way, I wasn't a fan.  It's rare for me to not like a show, but this one just didn't do it for me.  And I was sad because I so badly wanted it to rock.


On a positive note, the cast that visited with fans outside the stage door were a very friendly bunch.  Particularly Alessandro Nivola. Shockingly friendly for an absurdly cold night.  I was way past freezing when the man of the hour graced us with his presence.  Surprisingly, he began making his way around the wider than normal circle that enclosed the stage door exit.  I was ready with my playbill and camera, but Bradley Cooper only seemed to stop for iPhone photo ops.  Such is life.  I did manage to get my playbill in front of him before he charged past my section though.  In the end, that was good enough for me this time. 

Andrea :)

1 comment:

  1. Aww, sorry that you didn't like it. That's such a bummer, especially since you were so looking forward to it. :(

    ReplyDelete