Friday, July 8, 2016

Five on Friday


-ONE-

This past week has been full of highs and lows.  To start the week, we celebrated our nation's independence (see #4).  There were cookouts, fireworks, and just a general good time all around.  It is beyond comprehension that such a special time for Americans so quickly turned into a horrifying and despicable display of citizenship as two innocent black men were murdered outright in cold blood by white police officers on consecutive days in Louisiana and Minnesota.  It could have been my husband or any number of my black friends or family members.  These acts were followed by another unnecessary assassination of five innocent police officers patrolling a protest.  Seven lives lost.  Forever.  Senseless murder.  These are all regular people just going about their normal day.  It is an absolute disgrace for this type of behavior to occur in our land of the free and home of the brave. Do we - all Americans...every color, every race, every creed - TRULY understand what it means to be free and what it means to be brave?  Something must change.  Black Lives Matter.  And violent retaliation is not the answer.  We - all Americans - have to work together to find a way to right this ship regardless of how long it takes or how uncomfortable it feels because the consequences of inaction aren't acceptable.



-TWO-

One of my childhood friends recently ventured to NYC for an elopement to his longtime partner. Chris and I had a blast catching up with Nick and Eddie during their time in the city.  So much laughter!  As you read yesterday, lifetime friendship picks right up where it leaves off - so many fun memories of growing up with Nick as one of my best friends!


-THREE-

Since a number of the original Hamilton cast will be coming off the show on Saturday, I took it upon myself to venture over to the insanity known as the stage door this week.  It was all I expected in terms of craziness.  I managed to snag a quick photo with Christopher Jackson who plays the role of President Washington.  He sings my favorite song of the whole show - One Last Time.  Quite appropriate given the upcoming departure of many from the core cast.  I'm still hoping to meet my favorite of the bunch - Daveed Diggs - at some point.  It might take me a few weeks to work up the courage to return though!


-FOUR-

As I mentioned, we celebrated my favorite holiday this week.  I made an unplanned trip back to Kentucky.  As a result, I was able to enjoy the 4th of July fun and fireworks with my favorite niece and nephew!  They really loved the sparklers and pop its!



-FIVE-

My parents and I were in charge of entertaining those two little firecrackers on my last day in town.  They can be completely wild one moment and then sweet as can be the next.  Definitely kept us all on our toes, but we had a lot of fun feeding ducks, working puzzles, hanging out at the library, and saying goodbye at the airport.  My parents and I needed a day of rest afterward, but it was SO great to spend time with them.


I'm ready for a weekend full of time well spent with Christopher!  

Andrea :)

No comments:

Post a Comment