Monday, January 16, 2012

MLK Jr. Day

This day was always such a welcome holiday.  You had been back at school for just the right amount of days to need a break in grade school.  You had just finished all the sorority rush parties and Chapel Day in college.  But someone forgot to tell the NFL that this was meant as a day for rest and relaxation.  Now I always end up traveling to my assigned Championship city on this very special day instead.  I guess it could be worst, huh?

In all seriousness though, I've always been intrigued by MLK, Jr.  What a man!  I remember watching his speeches on video in our basement during my younger years...memorizing various passages from some of his famous speeches.  I've visited the place where his life was prematurely taken in Memphis, TN.  The Civil Rights Museum and Lorraine Motel will leave you speechless.  Such an ugly time in the history of our country, but also such a pivotal time.  I appreciate the efforts of this bold, Christian man.  He's a true and worthy American hero.

A couple of weeks ago, Chris and I had the chance (finally!!) to go see The Mountaintop with Samuel L. Jackson and Angela Bassett.  The play is a fictitious account of Martin Luther King, Jr.'s last night at the Lorraine Motel.  Bassett plays a maid that is called to deliver coffee to his room.  It was phenomenal...and surprisingly, quite comical.  We really enjoyed it.  Very much worth the hour I spent standing in the cold to get our discount rush tickets...even if it did take me two shots to finally get there early enough to get them :)  Highly recommend the show, but you better hurry cause it's closing soon!!


Hope you take some time to reflect on MLK, Jr. and all that he stood for today!

Andrea :)

No comments:

Post a Comment