Saturday, April 21, 2012

Mom and Dad in NYC - Part One

Since Kentucky isn't exactly next door to New York, it is rare that I get to have my parents in my (for now) neck of the woods.  So it is always an exciting and fun filled time when they do venture to the Big Apple.  This time was no different.  We had a jam packed schedule and had a lot of fun spending the (almost) week together.

Mom and Dad arrived in NYC on Tuesday evening.  We went to dinner with Chris before he had to head back up to Albany.  We went to Benjamin's on the east side of Manhattan.  I had a Groupon for there so we had a very nice meal at roughly half the price :)  You know me...always looking for a good deal!

Great little spot in Murray Hill...

Wednesday, I took the day off from work to spend some time with my parents.  We spent the morning getting 1/2 price broadway tickets for Million Dollar Quartet at TKTS. Actually, I went for a run and Dad stood in line for the tickets.  Not to worry though, he made some friends who helped us narrow down our options. Once we bought the tickets, we had a few hours before the show so Mom met up with us and we headed down to Macy's to check out their special spring flower display.  This year the theme was Brasil.  Check out some of the pictures from the exhibit.




I was ready to pack my bags and head south....

We all really enjoyed Million Dollar Quartet.  It is an off-broadway show about a single jam session at Sun Records in Memphis with legends Johnny Cash, Elvis Presley, Jerry Lee Lewis, and Carl Perkins that is based on an evening that actually did occur back in December 1956.  The music was AMAZING!!!  Very talented musicians!


After the show, we headed down to the 9-11 Memorial.  The memorial was nice, but I wish the museum had been open.  They said it won't open until next year.  That was a bummer, but I know it will be fabulous.  Here are some pics of the memorial...

Survivor Tree at Memorial...
Piece of original towers inside the museum that hasn't opened yet :(
 

Check out that rainbow in the background....

We stopped by Trinity Church before heading back uptown to Junior's for dinner.  The cheesecake there is my absolute FAVORITE!!!

Chowing down....
Excited about the strawberry cheesecake...
BLISS!!!!
On Thursday, Mom and Dad spent some time sightseeing while I was at work.  I met up with them after work for dinner at Room Service before going to see Godspell.  Room Service is one of my favorite Thai restaurants in Hell's Kitchen.  It has unique decor, great service, and yummy pineapple fried rice :)

Spring Rolls that come in an amazing dipping sauce...
delicious Pineapple Fried Rice :)
I don't think any of us were really sure what to expect at Godspell, but none of us came away disappointed.  We LOVED it!!  The show is my new favorite (although Wicked probably still edges it out for #1 ultimately).  I definitely plan to see it again!!  It was more like a sketch comedy and improv show with some amazing musical numbers scattered throughout.  It was very entertaining!!



We ended the night right by trying every teeny tiny flavor cupcake at Baked by Melissa.  My favorites were the rainbow one  (top row, second from left) and the specialty Easter one (the two in the center).

SOOOOOO YUMMY!!!!

And we did ALL of this before the weekend.  I'll keep you in suspense (for now) about what fun activities we packed into those few days.  Believe me, you won't want to miss Part Two.

Andrea :)

No comments:

Post a Comment