Sunday, April 1, 2012

Race #2

 Name: Colon Cancer Challenge
Date/Time: Sunday, April 1 at 9am
Location: Central Park
Length: 4.0 miles
Bib Number: 7371
Official Time: 48:43
Average Time per Mile: 12:11

pre-race...
I was a little nervous going into this race for a couple of reasons.  The main one was that I had never run a race in Central Park and also hadn't quite gotten around to doing any training there.  However, the conditions were perfect (44 degrees, 3mph winds), the start time was a tad later than most, and I had Chris there for support :)  It turned out to be a GREAT race for me.  I had set a goal to run my miles in under 13 minutes with a finish time in under 52 minutes.  As you can see, I ran my miles in closer to 12 minutes which I was VERY excited about.  I have been training with runs on the West Side Highway pretty consistently since my last race so I know that has been a big help.  I also have changed up my music.  I have been listening to praise and worship music and it really has helped me to not be so hard on myself and to give the race to God.  Believe me, he was definitely my strength on those hills between the 3rd and 4th mile today!!  I also set a timer at every mile marker for 13 minutes. Then I run, run, run as fast as I can to make sure I don't hear that timer go off.  I have been practicing that way as well.  I think it has really helped.  At the 1 mile mark today, I was just under 1 minute from the timer going off.  At mile 2 and 4, I was around 1 and a half minutes from the timer, but on that hilly mile I was just 20 seconds or so from the timer.  Regardless, I did all four miles in under 13 minutes and finished the race well under the 52 minute mark.  Since Race #3 is this coming Saturday and I will be quite busy between now and then, I am hoping to just remain consistent even though it is a 10k next time.  The last thing that I know was a motivator for me was having Chris there for support, encouragement, and to cheer me on.  It was nice to have him there at the start and then to see him right there waiting for me at the finish.  I really appreciated him being there today! He doubled as a great photographer, too :)

Beyond excited about my great run in the park!!

Andrea :)

1 comment: