Sunday, November 18, 2012

Book #3 - Four Perfect Pebbles

A few years ago for Christmas, Dad gave each of us a copy of Four Perfect Pebbles by Lila Perl and Marion Blumenthal Lazan.  It took me a bit to get around to reading it.  However, it was a very short, but powerful read.


The story follows the Blumenthal family - Walter, Ruth, Albert, and Marion - as they attempt to escape the Jewish persecution that was taking place in Germany and the surrounding countries during Hitler's rule and the recovery time thereafter.  It is a remarkable story of perseverance and determination.  I don't want to give much away because I think that everyone should take the time to read this book, but co-author and main character Marion obviously survives.  The detail with which she describes the way of life in the concentration camps is incredible.  I literally had chills at a few different points.

As I read this book, I couldn't help but recall my visit to a concentration camp site in Dachau a few years ago.  I remember there being such an eerie feeling there.  I remember thinking about how many senseless murders occurred on the very ground that I was now walking on, how much inhumane treatment was endured by innocent people, how much evil was experienced by all.  When I was reading this story, it was almost like I could picture Marion and her family in this terrible place.  The perseverance of the people trapped in these camps was truly unreal.  To survive these camps wasn't just uncommon, it was unlikely.  For anyone to survive was a true miracle.

Entrance to Dachau...

The barracks...
Replica of the stoves....such a somber moment when we were in this section of the camp


Jewish memorial on the camp grounds - thought this one was very unique

"Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have gained access by faith into this grace in which we now stand.  And we boast in the hope of the glory of God.  Not only so, but we also glory in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope.  And hope does not put us to shame, because God's love has been poured out into our hearts through the Holy Spirit, who has been given to us."  - Romans 5:1-5


Andrea :)

1 comment:

  1. I've got to add this book to my list. It sounds amazing. And I am planning a 30th birthday trip to Europe and plan on visiting Auschwitz. I've heard that it's so difficult, but I feel like it is something we should all see.

    ~Tiffany
    http://tiffanyd22.blogpsot.com

    ReplyDelete