Thursday, November 29, 2012

Book #4 - Gone Girl


I'm linking up with the Blogger Book Club crew for book 4 of 10 on my 30 before 30 quest. 

The book for the month of November was Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn.  I got a bit of a late start as I was finishing up Book #3 so I actually didn't finish the book until today.


Gone Girl is the story of a couple that recently moved from New York City to Missouri and their transitions not only in location, but also personally over their two years of courtship and five years of marriage.  On their 5th wedding anniversary, Amy turns up missing.  Nick is a likely suspect, but insists he didn't kill his wife.  The story takes many twists and turns, but eventually all the mysteries are solved.

It took me awhile to get into this book (which also might have possibly led to my delay in finishing it), but after I got about a third of the way in, I couldn't put it down.  In the end, there were some things I really liked and some things that were a little disappointing.

I really liked the writing style.  I enjoy reading books where you are getting different points of view regarding the same events. Gone Girl goes back and forth between Amy's diary entries and Nick's thoughts - both are very unique to their personalites and very well written. I also liked the thrill of trying to figure out what was going to happen next.  I enjoyed the love story - how they met, how life got in the way, how they had become distant, how she had gone missing.  It was neat how these pieces were told through the perspectives of both Amy and Nick.

I didn't like the ending.  I won't give it away, but I definitely thought it would go a different direction.  I also thought that it was a little lengthy.  It could have been shortened up a little in a few different places.

The entire time I was reading the book, I was picturing it as a movie.  I'm not sure if they will make one from it, but I think it would be a good one.  Definitely a twist from your typical love story.  Something for everyone!  I would definitley recommend reading it, but consider yourself warned that it is pretty intense in various sections.  It was a lot of fun to read because it kept me guessing and trying to figure things out.  Something that would be fun to read at the beach or on vacation when you have plenty of time to devote to it!

Andrea :)

2 comments:

  1. I just started it! I can't wait to read the ending, everybody seems to have mixed opinions on it. :) I really love Gillian Flynn's other books, so I'm hoping I'll like this one, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I said the same thing about the differing view points! and the movie too! There has to be a movie about this, no doubt!

    I know the ending left a lot of people unsatisfied, i felt like it was the perfect ending even though it was upsetting!

    ReplyDelete