Thursday, June 30, 2016

ABC Reads: June Review


Today is the day to link up your ABC Reads!!  Before we go any further, I want to announce that Jessica from Frikken Duckie successfully completed our challenge at the end of May.  I'm super impressed with how quickly she blazed through all 26 books!! Congrats, girl!  Even though we have a winner, Mia and I will continue to post the link-up throughout the remainder of the year.  Personally, I'm on a mission to complete the challenge myself...and I hope you are as well! 

Here's a refresher on the terms of the challenge in case you missed it previously:

What does the challenge entail?  Well, I'm glad you asked.  There are 26 letters of the alphabet and Mia and I challenge you, during the course of 2016, to read a book that starts with each letter.  For example, Atonement (A), The Bell Jar (B), Catching Fire (C), and so on.  Makes sense, right? You don't need to go in order - if you want to start with S, go for it.  On the last day of each month, we'll host a link-up for you to share your ABC Reads.  We will award one point for each letter you review AND a bonus point for linking up with us!  At the end of the year (or when the first participant reviews a book beginning with each of the 26 letters), the winner will be awarded a $30 Amazon gift card.  So, what do you say?  Do you accept our ABC Reads challenge?

It was another slow reading month for me. Summer can be such a hectic time full of all kinds of fun and free events.  Unfortunately, that means I slacked off a bit in the book reading department.  I'm determined to step it up next month though.  I want to shoot for at least four books by the end of next month since I only managed two this month.  I completed the following letters: X and D.  Here are my thoughts...


The X by Lorena Bathey

I was dreading finding an X book so when Jessica (our ABC Challenge winner) reviewed it last month, it caught my eye.  Plus it was only 99 cents on my Kindle.  It follows the story of a recently abandoned wife and mother whose powerful ex is attempting to destroy her life by taking away their sons.  He's well connected so it isn't an easy fight, but she's up for the challenge.  In the end, it didn't knock my socks off, but it wasn't horrible either.  I felt like it was a quick read that kept me interested, but was quite predictable.  If you still need an X book, give it a shot...and let me know what you think!   

The Dark Ferret Society by Emily Humphreys

I discovered this little gem via The Lady Okie. When Amanda mentioned this book that her friend wrote, I was immediately intrigued.  I have always thought the idea of a secret society is fascinating.  It was definitely meant to be for me to find this fun story.  I really enjoyed getting to know Ruby Fink.  She's the new girl (though she's become quite a pro at it since her eccentric family moves quite often) and immediately finds herself befriended by Elizabeth.  That friendship leads her to an invitation to a secret society that specializes in pranks and an opportunity to be a part of a great group of pals for the first time in her life.  Additionally, I absolutely loved Ruby's family with all their traditions and non-typical ways.  I may even incorporate a few of those lovely ideas into my own life.  I would certainly recommend this book to anyone.  It is wholesome and fun.  Exactly what I hoped when I decided to give it a shot!

Which letters did you cross off your list this month?


Andrea :)

1 comment:

  1. I love Emily Humpherys' blog! I need to read her book for sure. I'm still on the hunt for an "X" book, but I may just read "The X" as well. :) Talk to you soon, friend! xo

    ReplyDelete