Monday, December 1, 2014

Movie Time!

I love movies.  Love them.  And about this time of year the pre-Oscar buzz begins.  Movies are released over the holiday season...and the lead up to the Oscars just intensifies.  And I love it.

I saw two movies during Thanksgiving week. 

My friend, Mary, and I went to see The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1 on Tuesday night.  It was good, but I still wish they had just made one movie covering the entire final book of that series.  It didn't need to be two movies.  And I thought they should have ended it in a different spot for more of a cliffhanger effect, but overall it was good.  Pretty intense in places which was a bit unexpected to be honest.  It was strange to see Jennifer Lawrence in the role of Katniss after all her success in more adult roles recently.  And it was sad to see Philip Seymour Hoffman on screen posthumously.


I saw Interstellar on Saturday morning.  The movie was certainly intriguing, but it might have been too soon after all of the success of Gravity last year.  For the record, the two movies had very little in common outside of the obvious astronaut/space connection.  Interstellar had much more character development and interaction as well as covered a wider span of time, both of which proved unique.  I enjoyed this movie, but it didn't completely blow me away.  I liked the storyline, but it became extremely convoluted for me toward the end.  I think it could have used a bit more explanation there, but overall it was a good film.


I'd recommend seeing both on redbox.  Neither was particularly amazing, but both very watchable.

What movies have you seen recently? 
What are you anticipating being a big hit this holiday season? 

Andrea :)

2 comments:

  1. I'm SO with you on this whole trend of splitting "final" stories into 2 movies. Why? Just trying to milk it for all it's worth, I think. :) But of course, I'll still be seeing the movies - when they come out on OnDemand, since I rarely go to the movies. #momprobs :)

    And I'm intrigued by Interstellar, but McConaughey... ugh. What did you think of his performance in the movie? I'll only see it if you think he wasn't his usual "Dazed and Confused" role he usually plays. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw Mockingjay with some friends last weekend as well. I agree that it doesn't need to be two movies. I think the directors are hoping for some Twilight-esqe type success there. It will still make a ton of money, but I wish they wouldn't drag it out for another year!

    ReplyDelete