Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Best Picture Review: The Imitation Game


Summary via IMDb:

Based on the real life story of legendary cryptanalyst Alan Turing, the film portrays the nail-biting race against time by Turing and his brilliant team of code-breakers at Britain's top-secret Government Code and Cypher School at Bletchley Park during the darkest days of World War II.

My Thoughts:

Surprisingly, I really enjoyed this movie.  It had not been one that I was excited about watching, but it was wonderful.  I loved how it flashed back and forth from his childhood to the wartime though I could have done without so much of the flashing forward to the present day.  At one point, I got a bit of a headache because it was moving around so often.  After talking more about it with Chris, we concluded it likely was the best strategy, but I guess the present day (1950's) scenes just weren't really all that interesting so they didn't capture my attention as much.  The story itself was fascinating though.  I can't imagine the stress and agony of trying to break a code that changed everyday.  It was thrilling to see them figure out various aspects and work toward the end goal that ultimately changed history.  As the film claims at several different junctures, "sometimes it is the people that no one imagines anything of who do the things that no one can imagine".  What an extraordinary story.  Definitely suggest seeing this film.  Quite worthy of its nominations.

Other Nominations:

Actor (Benedict Cumberbatch)
Supporting Actress (Keira Knightley)
Directing (Morten Tyldum)
Film Editing
Music (Original Score)
Production Design
Writing (Adapted Screenplay)

Did you see The Imitation Game?  What were your thoughts?

Andrea :)

No comments:

Post a Comment