Tuesday, April 7, 2015

#MarriedMaitlands: Dress Fittings & My Trials

Once I finally decided on a dress in early April, a whole new set of dilemma's arose.  Since the Justin Alexander dress I selected was made in Europe, RK Bridal couldn't guarantee it would arrive in time for alterations to be done in New York.  It would initially be sent to RK Bridal in New York at some point in August.  Once it arrived, I would try it on and confirm it was the dress I had indeed purchased.  Then, I had two options.  1 - I could leave the store with my dress and figure out where to alter it on my own in NY.  2 - I could have them ship it to my parents in Kentucky.  After two seconds of googling reviews for bridal alterations in the city, I made perhaps the easiest decision of the whole wedding planning process - ship that sucker to KY!!


Don't get me wrong, it was not a bit of news I was thrilled to receive.  It meant shelling out another huge chunk of cash for one more flight back home in the midst of all the other craziness of life and busy weekends at this point!  On the flip side, the alteration costs proved SIGNIFICANTLY more affordable in the bluegrass!


My dress actually came in early so I was actually able to try it on and send it along to Kentucky in early August.  Ironically, the first time my parents saw my actual wedding dress was without me....but I was happy to hear it arrived safe and sound.  I made the journey to Kentucky a few weeks later to try it on for Louise.  The bulk of the alternation was needed to shorten the length.  Besides being a measly 5'4", I had decided to wear flats on the wedding day.  Additionally, she made a few minor adjustment to shoulders of the dress and added a bustle.  Oh, and we had her make some changes to my mom's veil that I planned to wear on the big day!


Since I was making the extra trip without Chris, I figured this would be as good a time as any to set up a hair trial and a make-up trial.  We had to go to Louisville for those, but getting to see my brothers niece and nephew totally made everything worth it!  My niece actually tried on some flower girl dresses for me while I was in town, too!



The hair trial was fun.  I've always liked having my hair cut and styled.  Laura gave us lots of options to debate.  In the end, we decided something low would be best to accommodate the veil.



After the hair was done, my parents drove me over to Angie's house for the make-up trial.  Surprisingly, this part was much more fun than I had anticipated.  Angie was super friendly and helpful.  She also showed us several different options, but ultimately totally respected my decisions.  I loved the airbrush make-up!  The trial turned out really well...and she even gave me a test spray tan on my arms afterward to see how I liked it.  I didn't end up going that route for the wedding, but it was nice to know the option was available! 




Angie Maxwell proved far and away to be my most stellar and worthwhile vendor on our wedding day!  Not only did she have a pleasant and helpful demeanor, but she also did a FABULOUS job!  I would absolutely recommend her to any bride in the greater Louisville area!!! 

Andrea :)

No comments:

Post a Comment