Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Race to Deliver - A Year Long Adventure


God's Love We Deliver has been on my mind for a full year now.  I ran this exact same 4-miler last year as I wrapped up my marathon qualifying.  I was intrigued by the charity and did a bit of research post-race.  I discovered they have a Birthday Bake Sale ministry where a donation can be made in honor of or in memory of loved ones.  That donation is then used to bake a birthday cake for a New Yorker living with a serious illness so he or she doesn't have to feel so alone on their special day.  I decided this would be a great way to honor each of my family members throughout the year.


I surprised each of them on their birthday with an email telling them all about the donation made in their name.  I was happy to be able to continue giving to this great organization from February to November.  When the Race to Deliver 4-miler rolled around this year, I was SUPER excited to run in support of a charity that has meant so much to me this year.  I also decided I would donate a dollar toward their holiday meal program for every minute I was on the course this year.


I happened to run my best time all year while reflecting on this past year of giving back as I trekked through Central Park on a gorgeous November day.  I managed to run 11:52 per mile for a total time of 47:28.  I'll go ahead and round up to $50 since I love this charity's mission so much!  Check them out HERE if you have interest in learning more about them!

Andrea :)

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a great charity, and a great way to donate!

    ReplyDelete