Monday, February 29, 2016

ABC Reads: February Review


Today is the day to link up your ABC Reads!!  Here's a refresher on the terms of the challenge in case you missed it previously:

What does the challenge entail?  Well, I'm glad you asked.  There are 26 letters of the alphabet and Mia and I challenge you, during the course of 2016, to read a book that starts with each letter.  For example, Atonement (A), The Bell Jar (B), Catching Fire (C), and so on.  Makes sense, right? You don't need to go in order - if you want to start with S, go for it.  On the last day of each month, we'll host a link-up for you to share your ABC Reads.  We will award one point for each letter you review AND a bonus point for linking up with us!  At the end of the year (or when the first participant reviews a book beginning with each of the 26 letters), the winner will be awarded a $30 Amazon gift card.  So, what do you say?  Do you accept our ABC Reads challenge?

I read my first ABC Reads book that I didn't particularly enjoy this month.  However, I really loved the other two I read so I guess that balanced things out.  I completed the following letters: A, M, and I.  Here are my thoughts...


An Abundance of Katherines by John Green

As a big John Green fan, I was shocked by how little I enjoyed this one.  From the beginning, I just couldn't get into it.  It picked up a little toward the end, but the way it was written was a bit too abstract.  Lots of beginnings and ends of beginnings and middles of ends.  I didn't mind the actual story, but I think I would have preferred it in a bit more of a logical manner.  I kept confusing myself about which Katherine was being discussed before I finally realized it didn't really matter all that much in the end.  Definitely not a book I would recommend.

The Magic Strings of Frankie Presto by Mitch Albom

I have never read a Mitch Albom book that I wasn't in awe of how it was written.  Albom is the truest talent of the art.  I love how he brings everything to life in his writing.  It is both fascinating and inspiring.  The Magic Strings of Frankie Presto absolutely blew me away.  The story, the characters, the narration - SO completely wonderful.  My dad gifted me with the book (as he's done so many others) for Christmas.  I hesitated to start it because it didn't seem exactly like my type.  I totally misjudged this book by its cover.  Yes, the book is about music.  In fact, Music narrates.  But it is also about love, loss, and making your way through whatever life brings your way.  It is fantastic.  I highly suggest it to everyone!

Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns) by Mindy Kaling 

I'm a little late to the Mindy Kaling party since she has already authored a second book, but better late than never.  Lots of laughs and nods of agreement throughout.  Such a funny lady.  Definitely a good book to pick up when you just want a mindless read.  Nothing gets too deep.  Nothing leaves you scratching your head in amazement.  Just lots of humor and stories about real life adventures.

Which letters did you cross off your list this month?


Andrea :)

4 comments:

  1. Magic Strings sounds interesting! I was not a huge fan of Mindy Kaling's book. I really like her and I think she's hilarious, but it got to be too much of the same thing for my liking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for Frankie Presto! :) Excellent choice, mah friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad to read your review of the John Green book, I was planning on picking that one up next, I am just finishing up Paper Towns right now, hoping to finish tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've read the Abundance of Katherines. Honestly, I don't remember what I thought about it. Is that the one with all the math?

    ReplyDelete