Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Best Picture Review - The Martian


During a manned mission to Mars, Astronaut Mark Watney (Matt Damon) is presumed dead after a wild storm and left behind by his crew. Remarkably, Watney manages to survive and wakes to find himself stranded and alone. With only meager supplies, his ingenuity, wit, and spirit to live allow him to find a way to signal to Earth that he is alive. Millions of miles away, NASA and a team of international scientists work tirelessly to bring "the Martian" home with the whole world watching and cheering for a safe return.

I heard wonderful things about this book and intended to read it before I watched the film, but I simply ran out of time.  I thought the movie was a much needed change from the other astronaut movies in recent years (Interstellar, Gravity) using humor to lighten many intense and stressful situations throughout the film.  I'm not a huge Matt Damon fan, but he forced me to like him in this role.  He spends a majority of the movie talking straight into the camera, but it is filmed in a way that makes the movie quite watchable.  I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it.  Definitely a fun movie that will have you rooting for all involved in keeping "the Martian" from having to eat next to nothing for even one more sol.  Definitely gets a thumbs up from me!

My Rating: 4 stars

Other Nominations:
Best Actor (Matt Damon), Production Design, Sound Editing, Sound Mixing, Visual Effects, Writing (Adapted Screenplay)

Have you seen The Martian yet?

Andrea :)

2 comments:

  1. We just saw this over the weekend! I really liked the movie. It came very close to the book, and I think they did a great job with the whole thing. The book goes through a lot more of the science, but it's all in a way that makes it easy enough to read. For those of us that are not NASA scientists....

    ReplyDelete
  2. The movie was much better than I thought it would be, I really enjoyed it. :) I really felt for him when he hit some of those setbacks, I kept imagining what it would be like to be trapped in space all alone. Shew, no thank you. :)

    ReplyDelete