Friday, February 19, 2016

Best Picture Review - Room


A single mother (Brie Larson) has been held captive for nearly a decade.  She has converted a tiny shed into a living space for her and her five-year-old son (Jacob Tremblay).  It's time to break free from their captor, but it won't be an easy feat.  This movie is a touching tale of survival, isolation, and the struggle to adjust to an ever-changing society. The movie is based on the novel by Emma Donoghue.

Such an emotional journey!  I immediately felt strangely vested in these two characters and their well being.  And I was incredibly impressed with how the movie was filmed as well.  Half the movie takes place in a room roughly the size of my former Manhattan apartment.  Fortunately, I had the ability to leave my room.  I was blown away with their creativity and resourcefulness - they truly built their own little world inside that room.  The latter portion of the film where they attempt to integrate themselves into a world they've been absent from for far too long was fascinating.  I can only imagine how difficult that situation would be for not only those held captive, but also for their loved ones that had likely long ago given up hope they would ever return.  Certainly an emotional portrayal with solid acting throughout.  I didn't realize it was based on a book, but that book is definitely on my to read list now! 

My Rating: 4.5 stars

Other Nominations:
Best Actress (Brie Larson), Directing (Lenny Abrahamson), Writing (Adapted Screenplay)

Have you seen Room yet?

Andrea :)

2 comments:

  1. I'm really torn on this one. I haven't read the book, but have heard really good things. Some of my friends who HAVE read it think this would be to emotional to watch. Did you think it was difficult to watch?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely read the book, it is incredible! One of my all time favorites!

    ReplyDelete