Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Best Picture Review - Brooklyn


Eilis (Saoirse Ronan), a young Irish woman travels to the United States in the 1950's in hopes of a better future.  She suffers from a severe case of homesickness initially, but eventually finds her way in Brooklyn.  Eilis lives at an Irish boarding house where she dines each night with the traditionalist landlady and her fellow residents, a truly comical crew.  She secures a job and meets a lovely Italian gentleman, Tony (Emory Cohen).  Then come some unexpected twists and turns that I don't want to spoil for you.

I absolutely loved this film.  Absolutely!  It is easily my favorite of all the nominees.  Perhaps it was because I identified with so many of the feelings that Eilis experienced along her journey.  But it couldn't be just that.  This film is the perfect mix of humor and drama.  I laughed many times, but also teared up right along with Eilis on a number of occasions.  I also really enjoyed Saoirse in this role.  She was a fresh face and quite talented as she truly carried this film from beginning to end.  We are planning to see her live in Arthur Miller's The Crucible on Broadway this spring.  Super excited to see more from this lovely leading lady!  Please find a way to check out Brooklyn - you won't regret it!!

My Rating: 5 stars

Other Nominations: 
Best Actress (Saoirse Ronan), Writing (Adapted Screenplay)

Have you seen Brooklyn yet?

Andrea :)

1 comment:

  1. Saoirse doesn't get enough credit in my opinion. I've loved her in everything I've seen her in! Will definitely watch this when it comes out on OnDemand. :)

    ReplyDelete