Monday, February 8, 2016

Best Picture Review - Bridge of Spies


Bridge of Spies takes place during the Cold War.  An American lawyer, James B. Donovan (Tom Hanks), is recruited to defend an arrested Soviet spy, Rudolf Abel (Mark Rylance).  A friendship of sorts is built between the two so despite losing the trial, Donovan pleads with the judge to keep Abel alive theorizing he could be used as a bargaining chip with Russia down the line.  Remarkably, such an event occurs causing the CIA to rely on Hanks to facilitate an exchange of Abel for a Soviet captured American spy plane pilot.

I'm always a fan of the true story tale...and this was no exception.  Doesn't hurt that I am a major Tom Hanks fan, but still it proved quite an intriguing movie.  I am unclear why Mark Rylance was nominated for Supporting Actor when others (like Samuel Jackson in Hateful Eight) were more deserving in my opinion.  Rylance did a fine job, but he didn't really have to do much.  His role was crucial to the film's plot, but limited on screen.  I didn't feel like he made an overwhelming impression overall.  Regardless, I did enjoy Hanks as he struggled from high to low throughout the film.  The ending left me wanting to know a bit more...and I think that is often a sign of a good film.
  
My Rating: 4 stars

Other Nominations: 
Supporting Actor (Mark Rylance), Music (Original Score), Production Design, Sound Mixing, Writing (Original Screenplay)

Have you seen Bridge of Spies yet?

Andrea :)

1 comment: