Monday, September 17, 2012

5 years

It is hard for me to believe that I have been working at the NFL for 5 years today.  

5 YEARS!!!

I can remember so clearly those two and a half months that I spent in NYC without a job.  I arrived on July 2, prepared to find an apartment and land my dream job at the NFL in the two weeks before my return flight to Kentucky where I would pack up all my belongings and drive back to the city.  Boy, could I have EVER been more wrong about a two week span in my life?!?  As you might have guessed, I found neither, but I did have some hope, so I decided to stay.  Instead of taking that return flight, I sublet an apartment in a section of Washington Heights where today I'm not so sure I would feel 100% comfortable walking around in broad daylight.  But it was cheap, and to be honest, I didn't know any better.  I remember doing more walking than I had ever done in my life that first month.  I remember eating cheese crackers for lunch (and sometimes dinner) cause I wasn't sure when or if my money was going to run out before I found a job.  I remember working game day for the Jets for $75 a day (before taxes) when it cost me nearly half of that to get out to Jersey just so I could keep my name out there.  I remember reading some good books from the library down the street and sitting at the fountains in Columbus Circle for hours.  I remember not knowing where I would live next, but trusting that God would provide something...and He did.  I remember lots of things about that uncertain, but exciting time in my life.   And when all you own is a couple of suitcases, it makes moving around a lot easier so that's exactly what I did.  I lived in six different places (albeit, some for only a week) for my first year in New York before I settled on my current apartment where I have been ever since.

 But back to the job.  It was September 11, 2008.  I had been to a few interviews meetings over the past couple of weeks, but nothing super intriguing.  So, when I wasn't networking or trying to find a job, I explored the city.  Since it was 9/11, I thought it would be appropriate to head downtown to the tower site.  A phone call kept me from going though.  As I was getting ready for the day, a call came from the NFL asking if I could come in for an interview that day.  I agreed and rushed around to get prepared.  I headed into the midtown a little anxious and a little excited.  I was living in Queens at the time and as I exited the subway in midtown Manhattan, I realized it was pouring down rain.  So, I got soaked.  Pretty much felt like a drowned rat, but somehow...I got the job.  Well, not on the spot, but pretty close.  I felt good about the interview and was told I would be contacted by Friday.   Sure enough, on Friday, I got THE call.  They wanted me to start on Monday, September 17, 2008....five years ago, today.  And, I did.

While there have been some definite ups and downs, I have made some forever memories in these past five years.  Most notably, I have been able to allow my brothers, my parents, and my boyfriend to attend the Super Bowl.  I've also taken a weekend work trip to Seville, Spain, been thisclose to numerous celebrities, Hall of Famers, and billionaires (often without even knowing it), eaten lunch with Commissioner Goodell (on complete accident), and, most importantly, made a difference in thousands of kids' lives through our HSPD programs.  My boss has been a staple these past five years, but I have had three very different and unique co-workers throughout the years.  I've learned many life lessons from each of these individuals.

I'm not entirely sure I know what the future holds for me in terms of career, but I do know that I have done a lot of growing up these past five years.  I'm not sure it would have been quite the same in any other circumstances.  So, I am thankful for these five years.  Here's to the next five...and wherever I might be then.

One for the five behind me...and one for the future :)
Andrea :)

No comments:

Post a Comment