Sunday, February 10, 2013

Best Picture Reviews - Part 1

Last year, was the first year I watched all the Best Picture nominees before the beloved Oscars aired live.  It was definitely a challenge to get them all in before the end of February.  Check out my 2012 reviews here.


This year, seeing the 9 nominees has been far less challenging.  Partly due to the fact that a majority of them were obvious picks.  Partly due to the fact that Chris (and my dad over Christmas) was interested in seeing a number of them with me.

Without further ado, here are the 9 nominees:

Amour
Argo
Beasts of the Southern Wild
Django Unchained
Les Miserables
Life of Pi
Lincoln
Silver Linings Playbook
Zero Dark Thirty

I'll review half of them here and the other half next Sunday.

 

Viewing Details: By myself (alongside many a senior citizen) at an independent theater in NYC in early January
Thoughts: Wow!  There are very few words that I can conjure up to describe how I felt throughout and especially at the end of this movie.  Definitely Oscar worthy acting and subject material.  Powerful and very thought provoking.  I would even go as far as to say disturbing in some ways.  Definitely was not exactly what I was expecting, but very glad I saw this film.  Additionally, the film was in French complete with subtitles.

Argo 

Viewing Details: Chris and I saw this together at the theater in Albany in late October.
Thoughts: Loved this movie!  Totally captured me from start to finish.  I would recommend it to absolutely anyone.  Very well directed with some great acting.  I'm not sure that it will win Best Picture, but I would be oh so happy if it did.  Really enjoyed this film.  Edge of my seat the entire time.


Viewing Details: This one is the only one I saw on DVD this year.  It had just come out on DVD when the nominees were announced.  I watched it on a random night at my apartment.
Thoughts: It was abstract.  I won't say I hated it, but I don't think I would volunteer to watch it again.  I think that the little girl did an EXCELLENT job in her role.  Without a doubt.  Just not really my kind of movie.  Just wasn't real enough or something.  Pretty good storyline though.


Viewing Details: Chris and I saw this in NYC just after it was released. 
Thoughts: I must admit I was a little unsure headed into this movie if I would like it or not, but I came out recommending it to anyone that doesn't have too weak of a stomach.  There are several very Tarantino scenes, but overall it is very good.  There was a good deal more comedy involved in the movie that I had anticipated.  Obviously, it occurs during a very unfortunate time in our country's history, but it portrays life in those days in a very unique and interesting manner.  We both really liked it.  Leonardo DiCaprio, Jamie Foxx, and Christoph Waltz are amazing!

Check back next Sunday for reviews of the other half of the nominees.  

What's your pick for Best Picture?

Andrea :)

1 comment: