Sunday, February 17, 2013

Best Picture Reviews - Part 2


To recap, I'm reviewing all of the Best Picture nominees.  The nominees are:

Amour
Argo
Beasts of the Southern Wild
Django Unchained
Les Miserables
Life of Pi
Lincoln
Silver Linings Playbook
Zero Dark Thirty

If you missed the first half of the reviews in Part 1 last week, you can check those out here.


Viewing Details: Dad and I watched on Christmas afternoon in Lexington.
Thoughts: This movie was good, but very sad. And even though I was well aware that it was a musical, I hated that they sung every single word. I liked a lot of the songs, but I would have preferred a little dialogue occasionally! My favorite characters were the "evil" guardians of Little Lisette. They were hilarious and exactly the amount of comic relief one needed in such a sad story. I also really enjoyed the cat and mouse theme between the two main characters. That really kept me on my toes. I don't think it deserves to win Best Picture, but it was a good movie.


Viewing Details: Dad and I watched on the day after Christmas in Lexington.
Thoughts: I loved this movie! I didn't go into it thinking that I would, but I did. I loved it so much that I decided to read the book after I'd seen the movie. I'll let you know how it compares when I finish it. The story and young boy were both simply compelling. I was cheering for him to "make it" at every turn. I highly recommend this movie to anyone - young or old!


Viewing Details: Chris and I watched on a December afternoon at the Spectrum in Albany.
Thoughts: Wow, what a phenomenal performance of Lincoln by Daniel Day Lewis! Simply stunning! Not only was the acting fabulous, but the story sucked me in the entire time even though I knew what was going to happen in the end. Intriguing look at Lincoln's last few months as well as the political process of that day (and probably not too far off from today). Thoroughly enjoyed watching it all unfold. Best Picture quality without a doubt!


Viewing Details: Chris and I watched on New Year's Day at the Spectrum in Albany.
Thoughts: Very interesting movie. It is essentially a romantic comedy, but it has much more substance than most. Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence are a great duo. They were both spot on in their roles as psychologically disturbed individuals. Lots of laughs. At the end, you are sort of left to ponder lots of questions about the story, but you somehow feel good about it all anyway. Definitely a movie I'd like to see again.


Viewing Details: Chris and I watched the weekend before the Oscars in Albany.
Thoughts: I wasn't too excited to see this movie when I heard it was nominated, but surprisingly I kind of liked it. It was an interesting look into the operations of the CIA. Working in operations myself led me to be more engaged in the movie than I would have been otherwise. I thought there was a lot of down time in the movie that could have been removed to make a much more comfortable viewing time, but overall I did like the movie.

My pick for Best Picture is Lincoln.  
Although,  I would love for Argo or Life of Pi to win.

Who do you think will win next Sunday?  Will you be watching?

Andrea :)

1 comment:

  1. I felt similarly with Les Mis- I wasn't aware every word was going to be sung, haha! For some reason I just couldn't get into the emotion of it, unfortunately. I'm not sure yet what my pick to win would be, but I'm planning on a similar post on the movies I've seen for sometime this week

    ReplyDelete