Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Amazing Grace!

Amazing Grace!  How sweet the sound
that saved a wretch like me!
I once was lost, but now am found;
Was blind, but now I see.

'Twas grace that taught my heart to fear,
And grace my fears relieved;
How precious did that grace appear
The hour I first believed.


Have you ever wondered where our old church hymns originated?  How they came to be written?  What life circumstances provoked such powerful lyrics?


The story of John Newton, a British bad boy destined to take over his family slave business before one final disobedient act pushes his father to give the ultimate punishment, answers all those questions and more.  He wrote Amazing Grace after his life made a 360 degree turn for the better and his eyes were truly opened to the heinous ways of slavery and slave trade.


The broadway production was, for lack of a better word, amazing!  All of the actors sang with incredible voices.  The set and costumes were elaborate and true to the time period of the 1700's.  The only thing that would have made it feel more real is if all the actors spoke with British accents.   Overall, it was both educational and enjoyable!  I hope lots of people go check out the intriguing man behind the powerful song. 

Andrea :)

1 comment: