Saturday, September 19, 2015

Saturday States: Georgia & Florida


Georgia

State Nickname: The Peach State

Years of Family Trip: A Drive Through State

Cities Visited: Atlanta

Can't Miss Tourist Attractions: Recommendations Accepted!

We visited Georgia for a beach trip before McKinley was born, but since he joined the family we have mostly just passed through it on the way to other destinations down south.  Unfortunately, that means I don't have a lot to share about this state.  However, if you want to check out my experience with Jordan at a Falcons game a few years ago, click here!


Florida

State Nickname: The Sunshine State

Years of Family Trip: 1996, 1998

Cities Visited: St. Augustine, Orlando

Can't Miss Tourist Attractions:
Alligator Farm, Disney World, the beach


Stopping in St. Augustine, the oldest city in the United States, turned out to be a real hit!  We loved checking out the alligator farm there.  Fascinating creatures!  And I was even brave enough to let them hold a baby alligator up to my neck!!


Sea World is an amazing place to visit as well.  The animal shows there are incredible.  Watching Shamu and the other killer whales perform was certainly a highlight of the trip!  And speaking of highlights...one particularly trip to Florida happened to occur the week of my birthday.  As a gift, my parents paid for behind the scenes tickets that would allow me to pet a real live penguin!!!  Day...make that Week....make that Life made!!  Such an amazing experience.  And they don't feel at all like I imagined - much more rubbery!


"You see that castle over there?"

And, of course, no trip to Florida is complete without a whirl through Disney World, right?  Mom and Dad took Jordan and me when we were quite young...and before McKinley was even a twinkle in their eye.  Needless to say, two young ones at the happiest place on Earth doesn't make for two very happy parents at the end of those long days.  As we were leaving the park for the final time on our last day there, Mom pulled Jordan and me to the side and cautioned us to take a good look at that castle because the next time we'd see it was went we brought our own kids there.  And then little McKinley came along so she ate those words when we returned as a family of five a few years later.  Lesson learned!


Have you been to Georgia or Florida?

Andrea :)

1 comment:

  1. I grew up in Florida! South Florida, to be specific, although I went to college in Gainesville (north central). We made many day trips to St. Augustine for the beach, although I prefer the beaches on the west coast. Nicer sand, less seaweed, etc.

    I have mostly just driven through Georgia on my way to other places as well, but I would like to take a trip to Savannah at some point. I hear that it is a beautiful city with lots to do!

    ReplyDelete