Saturday, September 5, 2015

Saturday States: Tennessee


Tennessee

State Nickname: The Volunteer State

Years of Family Trip: 1995 and 2004

Cities Visited: Nashville, Memphis, Chattanooga, Gatlinburg

Can't Miss Tourist Attractions:
Smoky Mountains in Gatlinburg, Opryland (Hotel) in Nashville, Graceland and The Civil Rights Museum in Memphis


Walls of Wonder 

Graceland is just one of those places.  Even if you don't particularly like Elvis, you just have to check it out.  It's legendary.  One of a kind.  Little did I know how completely true those statements would ring after I laid eyes on the place myself.  The exterior isn't anything out of this world.  It's fairly simple as far as mansions go.  There is an elaborate gate providing an entrance to the place, but the house itself is pretty standard.  At least on the outside.  Inside is a different story.  The carpet is the shaggy variety and finds its way pretty much everywhere - including the walls!  Yes, the walls are carpeted.  I can't really imagine how that conversation went, but I'm sure there were a slew of questions involved!


YOU can't sit here!!

My family has been to our fair share of museums, but without a doubt the most powerful one I have ever stepped foot it is the National Civil Rights Museum in Memphis.  Not only are you able to roam the grounds of the Lorraine Motel and see a replica room where Dr. King was assassinated, but the actual museum is outstanding.  We experienced several interactive elements including a bus and a lunch counter where passengers and waiters/customers yell angry words to give you the feeling that so many felt in those tragic times.  It was unreal to walk in those shoes for that brief time.  Over a decade later, I still clearly remember my raw emotions as I made my way through the exhibit.  If you do nothing else in all of Tennessee, don't miss this museum!

Have you ever been to Tennessee?

Andrea :)

2 comments:

  1. I've never been to Tennessee, but I like classic country music, so I'd love to visit Nashville one day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been to Nashville, Memphis, Chattanooga, and Lynchburg (Jack Daniel's Distillery). My mom is a huge Elvis fan, so of course we had to visit Graceland! I was also surprised at the relative modesty. It's kind of a small house!

    ReplyDelete