Monday, September 28, 2015

#collaboreads: Back to School


I've had a bit of a stockpile of to-read books on my kindle for some time.  When I saw the category for this month's #collaboreads I was sure I could find something on there to fit the bill.  Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty did the trick.  The overarching story throughout the book revolves around the turn of events that took place at the parent's trivia night at Pirriwee Public.  Side stories involving domestic violence, being new in town, the struggles of blended family life, and a rare case of bullying in the new kindergarten class keep this book moving at lightening speed.

RIVETING.
What part of the book could you NOT get enough of?

The stories of each main character - Jane, Celeste, and Madeline - kept me turning the pages quickly.  Each lady was dealing with a different demon, and I became SO involved in trying to figure out how things were going to end for them.  The knowledge that someone dies at trivia night kept me curious as well.  I was constantly envisioning it being one person and then quickly shifting to being certain it was someone else.  Definitely a page turner!

ELEMENTS.
How did you relate to/care for the characters?
What's your thought on the plot line and twists and turns?

As I mentioned, each character has an interesting story.  There are several twists and turns with some being a tad more interesting than others depending on which characters you enjoyed most.  I was fascinated by Celeste as domestic violence is something that I really struggle to understand.  The author does a fabulous job of truly bringing you into Celeste's world.  I also enjoyed Jane's twists and turns (one of which I did predict - regarding Tom!).  Her story was also compelling.  I had the most difficultly identifying with Madeline.  She seemed extremely self-absorbed making it hard for me to feel her pain in most circumstances.

ASSOCIATE.
What other books are like this one? If none, did it remind you of a particular TV or movie with it's themes and characters? Does it serendipitous-ly line-up with things going on in your life or the news right now? 

This was my first Liane Moriarty book.  I enjoyed the style where she began with a portion of the end and then backtracked to explain how things arrived at that point.  It was written in third person (which I also enjoyed) but the chapters alternated between the characters' stories giving you glimpses into each life in small doses.  The content wasn't anything like The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins, but the back and forth nature of the storytelling matched closely.  The book does hit on topics like domestic violence and bullying which have recently been hot topics in the news.

DESIGN.
You know you judged this book by the cover. What did you think of it? 
How did it relate to the contents of the novel? And the font and layout of the pages? 

I read this one on my kindle, but I did flip through it in a book store and noticed how different it looked.  The main difference was the manner in which direct quotes from witnesses to the trivia night disaster were set apart.  It looked really nice in the hard copy version.  Those quotes provided many a laugh while reading the book.  They were a wonderful addition to the story.  The cover seems pretty accurate since things did pretty much end with a bang.  And the lollipop is perfect for the kindergarten mom persona. 

STARS.  
How many out of five do you give this book? Would you recommend this book to a friend?  

I give this book 4 out of 5 stars.  It was enjoyable, but pesky Madeline really found a way to get under my skin.  If she had been a bit less jealous and stubborn, I would have given it 5 stars without a doubt!

Andrea :)

5 comments:

  1. I've never read anything by Moriarty but see her name and books EVERYWHERE and keep meaning to finally grab one! I'm so glad you found a book already on your to-read list that fit this month's theme-- it's the best when that works out :) Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read this a few months ago and loved it as well! Such a great book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So you've sold me on how much I want to read this...I read Moriarty's What Alice Forgot and LOVED it so why it's taken me so long to get around to this one is... Baffling! :) Just requested it at our library so I can get in on this conversation! :)

    Also, love that you see the connection between the book and the news... That's how one of my books was last month and there's something so AMAZING about reading a novel but seeing it lived out in your time and space (even if the reality is harsh). :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Moriarty's books! Ok, well the 2 that I've read. This one, and also The Husband's Secret, which was really good. The story is set up like this one, with 3 main characters and the back-and-forth style. I've been wanting to read What Alice Forgot as well, just haven't gotten to it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read The Husband's Secret by her this past year and liked it! I loved that it was a bunch of different perspectives that converged into one in the end. It kept me on my toes!

    ReplyDelete